Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Saturday 12 December 2015

Toubro 's Wisdom

( Contributor : hcp )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Year was , may be , 1960 or 61

G Ramkrishna ( GR ) was my boss

I was sitting with GR , in his cabin , discussing some production issues

In walked , Mr S K Toubro , unannounced

Out of courtesy , I started standing up

SKT just waved to me to sit down , as he pulled up a chair for himself

After inquiring how production was shaping up , he suddenly turned to me and said :

"  Parekh ,

In Switchgear factory , do we have any engineers having no work ? "


I was nonplussed  , puzzled , lost to grasp the meaning !


I said :

" Sir , absolutely not .

  How is that possible  ? Every engineer is neck-deep in work "


The , he quietly said :


"  We should always have some engineers with no work - that is , with no boss-defined jobs

Their only duty should be to roam around the factory and the offices , observing what exactly our employees are doing - and how 

And figure out what is ' wrong ' with the way they are doing their work

Then come up with ideas / suggestions , on how those work-processes can be improved to do a better / faster job

And then go ahead and implement their own ideas / suggestions

We must have such freelancers who are always looking for ways to do more work for less effort  "


This was years before " Productivity Improvement " became a popular management jargon !

And years before Google introduced for its engineers , that now famous , 

"  20 percent " rule ,

under which , every employee of Google is free to set aside 20 % of his working hours , to pursue any project he can think up  , without boss's knowledge  !

Soren Toubro was a visionary of an extra-ordinary stature  !

Incidentally , he was the only person among our Directors , who responded to my wedding invitation 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13  Dec  2015




No comments:

Post a Comment